Hi, I’m Sameera. I’m a product designer, speaker, and author based in Austin, TX.
My design experience includes: advertising, startups, private and public design education, DEI initiatives, executive leadership, advisory boards, consulting, and product design and development.
These different experiences inform my writing and speaking. I’m writing a book that comes out Fall 2022. I call Bombay, Curaçao, and Austin all “home” and I'm a product designer at Netlify.
- Clarity 2020, Oct 2020, remote, “Designing for Happiness”
- Austin Design Week, Nov 2017, Moderator, Austin, TX “Making Design for Good a Part of Your Career”
- FusionConf, Sept 2017, Speaker, Charlotte, NC, “Diversity in Design”
- Creative Mornings / Austin, July 2017, Speaker, Austin, TX, “Equality”
- SXSW Interactive, March 2017, Austin, TX, Panelist, “Announcing The #YesWeCode Fund”
- Design/Content, July 2016, Vancouver, BC, Canada, Speaker, “Design Responsive Systems”
- Front End Design Conference, June 2016, St Pete, Florida, “Design Research”
- The Communal Cycle of Sharing, CSS Tricks, December 2019
- Get up to speed with CSS Grid, net Magazine, January 2017 issue and online
- 3 top tools for testing web performance, net Magazine, November 2016 issue and online
- Creating web icons that break the language barrier, net Magazine, November 2016 issue and online
- You've got this, The Pastry Box Project, December 2015
- Choosing Nothing: Be Kind, Please Unwind, The Pastry Box Project, October 2015
- Design, Dinner, and A Show, The Pastry Box Project, August 2015
- Like fruit flies to a ripe mango, The Pastry Box Project, June 2015
- The World Wide Vulnerability, The Pastry Box Project, April 2015
- Thinking in Systems, net Magazine, June 2014
- 5 Lessons from the RWD Classroom, net Magazine, online
- Small Acts Can Invite More Voices into Design Communities with Indeed‘s Design team, Nov 2022
- Inclusive Design Communities on ShopTalk Show, Oct 2022
- Code & Pixels, Oct 2022
- Design to Be: Creative Inclusive Spaces within the Design Community, October 2022
- Leading inclusively, with Sameera Kapila » Things Worth Learning, Sept 2021
- How to think like a front end developer, Shop Talk Show #335
- NPR (KUT): Coding Boot Camps Aim To Help Solve Diversity Problem In Tech Sector, Mar 2017
- What Comes Next Is The Future, documentary about makers of the web.
- Web Design Fundamentals: A Life of Learning, Lynda.com course, Nov 2014
- ShopTalk Show, June 2014