Where to Donate for Harvey Relief
I'm seeing a lot of great tweets about where to donate, so I thought I'd share a list here of what I've come across or donated to thus far. Last Updated: Tuesday, 29th of August, at 10:31pm, Texas Standard Time (CDT)
- The Rebuild Texas Fund
- Launch Good. Launch Good is a Muslim crowdfunding site. They're raising 10k.
- Salvation Army Austin
- Local to Houston, The Montrose Center. TMC specifically helps the LGBTQ community but is helping everyone during this time.
- Team Rubicon
- Multiple GoFundMe accounts raising funds
- Local volunteer info in Austin, TX
- Austin Disaster Relief Network
- Greater Houston Community Foundation
- UnitedWay Victoria, TX
- American Red Cross. I know there are some articles on Twitter going around about this, but in Texas we're seeing them feed displaced families and individuals. Please help. It's easy.
- Lazarus Brewing in Austin is taking vans over with donated items.
- Church Project
Support for the LGBTQ community
- Casa de Ana y Organizacion Latina de Trans en Texas are helping house trans communities members. They need monetary or physical goods like mattresses
- Montrose Center started a LGBTQ Disaster Relief Fund which includes housing, counseling, and so much more. (Yes I know it's listed twice).
- Trans Foundation of America
- St. Edward's in Austin is collecting the following items by Friday 9/1 in their Residence Life Office: water, non-perishable food, non-prescription drugs, hygiene products, feminine products, baby products
Food, Diaper, Woman's Health, and Blood Banks
- Texas Diaper Bank
- Houston Food Bank
- Corpus Christi Food Bank
- Galveston Food Bank
- United Way Victoria
- Victoria Food Bank
- We are Blood. A blood bank local to Austin, TX.
- Latest updates from H-E-B and where they're open
- The Homeless PERIOD Project ATX
Helping Schools and Students
- AirBnB has free places to stay with no service fees.
Boats needed for rescue
- Harris County rescue efforts need to borrow boats/high water vehicles: call 713-881-3100
For our fuzzy pet friends
- SPCA of Texas
- Austin Pet Alive!. Their site seems to be having high traffic outages, so this is an alternative for APA!. And you can donate directly to their Amazon Wishlist.
- Dallas DogsRRR - Dogs were trapped in flooded kennels and boats turned away.
- Animal Defense League of Texas
- San Antonio Pets Alive!
For the disabled
- Portlight. Disaster relief for disabled people.
- If you know disabled people who need help, they can call 800-626-4959, a Disability Disaster Hotline from Disaster Strategies.
- Living Hope WheelChair Association
For People of Color
For the homeless
- Houston Coalition for the Homeless
- Covenant House. They've got about 70 homeless youth to feed so far.
Financial Support and Attorneys for Disaster Relief
Note: Attorneys will be needed because officials in Texas changed the laws on how much people can claim due to natural disasters. Learn more about that here on Twitter and here from The Dallas Morning News.
- State Bar of Texas. Came across this in a status update on Facebook on why legal help is needed.
- Operation Hope. They have free financial services for Harvey victims
- Tips on how to file claims from USAA
- National Disaster Legal Aid — Update, their Houston location had a fire and explosion today causing reported injuries to local fire personnel.
- Texas Humor has 100% of proceeds going to relief.
- A Book Apart is donating 15% of all sales from now until August 31st to various organizations.
- Austin dining business with proceeds going to flood and hurricane relief from Eater Austin.
- Cotton Bureau has a few tees up with designer proceeds going to Texas here and here
Scams to be aware of
- A lot of these links came from social media, mostly from @jiatolentino.
- See more here by Celeste Pewter and Texas Monthly.
- Creative Mornings Austin has an extensive list of places to donate
- A growing list of Austin businesses with proceeds being donated, as well.
- How to Help Communities of Color