Equity & Inclusion
This page is a growing resource of thoughts and resources around Equity and Inclusion. Last Updated: June 2nd, 2022.
Organizations committed to Inclusion training
- Collective (formerly DEI Collective). I worked with Collective in 2018-19 helping form a DEI council within a previous role.
- Nova Collective. Worked them to when I was a co-chair for the DEI council in a previous role, specifically on custom training for our company.
Inclusion, in my words
- Creative Morning’s Equality talk : From when I spoke in July 2017.
- My experiences with starting and running diversity councils, part 1, and part 2, https://creativemornings.com/talks/sam-kapila.
- Leading Inclusively on Things Worth Learning.
Resources for leaders and managers
- Gender Decoder allows anyone to copy and paste in a job posting to have scored for its language. It was built using finding from a study focused on gendered language in job postings. The study found that words like “aggressive” or “champion” made people think of males and that words like “collaboration” or “responsive” made people think the role was female-leaning. Some organizations lean a bit more towards female-leaning words to counter the gender divide in technical roles like design or development.
- Imbalance of Culture Fits by my friend, Matt Griffin
- Textio : Job posting gender leaning test
- Bookshop’s Key Books for the Inclusive Leader
- Harvard Business Review has a wide and selection of articles with actions to take related to the workplace, covering topics like assigning work fairly to marginalized team members and explaining how women of color get assigned more housework and how to avoid it.
Job boards for inclusive hiring
- Project Include
- People of Color In Tech
- Black Tech Pipeline
- Disability Job Exchange
- Career Contessa
Accessibility organizations, checklists, and tools for web design and development
- Accessibility at Trivago
- Color Accessibility Workflows from A List Apart
- MDN checklist Mozilla Accessibility Checklists
- MDN Semantic HTML : Writing HTML that supports
- NPR has a text only version of their site. How cool. How browser and user-friendly.
- Microsoft’s Inclusive Toolkit
- Pa11y : Command line tool
- Wave : Chrome plug-in
- WCAG 2.0 Checklist